Dubai is not only a city of skyscrapers but a global hub of food enthusiasts as well. Being an international tourist destination, Dubai serves as an ideal playground for restaurant operators from across the world. This makes the idea of setting up a restaurant business in Dubai mainland highly rewarding and lucrative. However, as per the regulations of business setup in Dubai, restaurant business activity is treated as a special activity that requires approvals and permits from various government authorities. A foreign investor might struggle if he or she is unaware of the approvals and permits mandatory for opening a restaurant in Dubai mainland.
Business setup consultants in Dubai can assist foreign entrepreneurs to navigate the requirements set out by the authorities and government departments. So, if you are looking to start a restaurant in Dubai mainland, read ahead to learn about the process and requirements:
Obtain a Trade License for Restaurant Business
If you need to start a restaurant business in Dubai mainland, you should first obtain a trade license. The Department of Economy and Tourism (DET) is the competent authority issuing all types of trade licenses for companies registered in Dubai mainland. A Restaurant License in Dubai mainland is a type of Professional License with the Activity Code 5610001. The DET issued this license to restaurants equipped with suitable installations to prepare and serve food and snacks inside, as well as various beverages for immediate consumption by the public. However, such businesses are allowed to sell activity-related materials in non-commercial quantities. Foreign investors can easily obtain a mainland restaurant license through business setup advisers in Dubai.
Obtain a Food License
The restaurant license is regulated by and subject to approval from Dubai Municipality. In line with this, you need to apply for a NOC on foodstuff establishment trade license’ from the ‘Food Safety department’ at Dubai Municipality. Investors should also obtain a Food License from the Department of Food and Safety at Dubai Municipality. The applicants for the license must get a proposed kitchen design and equipment details from a registered engineering office and submit three copies of the same to Food Control Department.
Guidelines as Per Dubai Municipality Portal
While registering a restaurant business in Dubai mainland, entrepreneurs must take care of certain guidelines set by the Dubai Municipality. These can be listed as:
- The walls, floors, and ceiling of the restaurant should be fireproof, washable, and light-coloured. Also, there should not be any cracks in the structure of the restaurant.
- The restaurant must have enough ventilation and adequate lighting.
- The minimum area of the kitchen should be at least 300 sq. feet or 40 % of the total restaurant area, whichever is bigger.
- If the kitchen has a tandoor, in that case, the minimum kitchen area should be 380 sq. feet.
- A separate storage area for frozen items.
- Cold and hot water supply systems should be installed
Documents Required to obtain a food license in Dubai
To obtain a Food License from Dubai Municipality, you must submit the following documents:
- Copy of a valid trade license or primary approval from DET
- Interior design layout of the restaurant premises, if applicable
- Approval from the Planning Department in case the restaurant is located outside a mall or shopping centre
- Other Licenses: For special licenses, such as a liquor license, there is a separate procedure to apply with the Dubai police headquarters.
- Other Special Permits: These include a Vehicle permit for food transportation, a food truck license, a pork permit for handling and serving pork, and a food consignment release license
Why You Should Seek the Help of Business Set-up Consultants in Dubai?
Opening a restaurant in Dubai is one of the most lucrative businesses due to the presence of a diverse population of food lovers. The process of business setup in Dubai is fairly straightforward if all the rules and regulations are followed. However, it is tough for foreign entrepreneurs to be well-versed in all UAE laws and regulations. It is in such situations that the investors seek the help of reputed business setup consultants in Dubai such as Jitendra Business Consultants (JBC). JBC has a team of highly qualified consultants who possess sound knowledge of the UAE labour laws and immigration laws and are well-experienced in dealing with the government authorities for obtaining approvals. Since approvals are involved in the process of restaurant business setup in Dubai, the services of business setup consultants are indispensable. JBC can also help you meet key requirements such as bank account opening, visa processing, and regulatory requirements related to UAE Corporate Tax, Economic Substance Regulations (ESR), Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Ultimate Beneficial Ownership (UBO) etc.