At a time when e-commerce is witnessing an unprecedented boom in Dubai, the demand for e-trader licenses has skyrocketed. An E-trade license is being issued by the Department of Economic Development (DED) to regulate the trading of products through social media accounts. The demand for e-trader licenses indicates the positive changes in the landscape of business setup in Dubai as it enables entrepreneurs to conduct business from their homes.
As per an official report, the DED issued a whopping 6,217 e-trader licenses in 2021. It shows a 6% increase compared to the previous year as the DED issued 5,848 e-trader licenses in 2020. The e-trader license has helped the authorities curb the trading of fake goods on social media. Business consultants in Dubai can help you obtain a DED e-trader license. Read ahead to know everything about the e-trader license issued by the DED:
Why Should You Obtain an E-trader License in Dubai?
As you know, most trading businesses in Dubai mainland require you to rent a physical office. However, an e-trader license is the best solution if you plan to sell products on social media platforms without renting an office space. You can do your business from the comfort of your home by obtaining an e-trader license from the DED.
By obtaining an e-trader license in Dubai, you can offer products or services for sale on social platforms with complete security. The license has also proven to be a confidence booster for customers or buyers who engage in online purchases via various social media platforms. Since e-commerce is expected to gain more momentum in the coming years, e-trader licenses will fetch you more profits.
Applicants Eligible to Obtain an E-trader License in Dubai
Before approaching the DED, you should determine whether you are eligible to apply for an e-trader license in Dubai. Business setup consultants in Dubai can advise you on the eligibility criteria for an e-trader license. The following types of persons are eligible to obtain an e-trader license:
- If you are an individual or home-business enterprise endorsing and selling products online via websites or social media, you are eligible to apply for an e-trader license in Dubai
- If you are selling any product through social media accounts such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Instagram, you require an e-trader license. This applies to women or any person staying at home to sell hand-made items, fashion apparel, jewellery, and other goods and services through various online platforms
- E-trader licenses can be obtained by home-based businesses for whom office space requirement is not mandatory as Ejari documentation is not relevant in this business
- Freelancers providing various online services can also apply for e-trader licenses in Dubai
- A Home-based business, owned by a single individual, that doesn’t require a local partner can apply for an e-trader license
Key Conditions for Obtaining an E-trader License in Dubai
As per the DED regulations of business setup in Dubai, e-trader licenses are applicable only to the trading of goods or services through social media accounts. Earlier, the DED mandated that the applicants should be either a UAE national or a GCC national. However, the DED also allows expatriates of other nationalities to apply for the license. Most importantly, the applicant must reside in Dubai and should satisfy the minimum age requirement of 21 to apply for the license. Consult with business setup consultants in Dubai for further information.
Documents required for E-Trader License
The documents required for the e-trader license in Dubai are:
- A valid Emirates ID because the applicant should be a Dubai resident
- The minimum applicable age is 21
- Register the trade name with the authorities. Attach it with the application
- Proof of residence (Makani number). However, Ejari is not necessary.
How can Jitendra Business Consultants Help you?
Entrepreneurs interested in the process of business setup in Dubai can apply for an e-trader license if they wish to sell goods from their homes. An e-trader license eliminates the requirement for renting an office space and allows individuals to leverage the ongoing e-commerce boom. Investors may find the DED regulations a bit tough, but business setup consultants in Dubai such as Jitendra Business Consultants (JBC) can help them obtain a license quickly.
JBC has a team of highly qualified business setup advisers who can assist the entrepreneurs in key requirements such as visa processing, bank account opening, document drafting etc. Our 20 plus years of experience will come in handy for entrepreneurs to navigate the challenges associated with the licensing process.