Starting a food truck business in Dubai mainland is a cost-effective and lucrative opportunity for foreign entrepreneurs. Yet, investors are advised to apply for a trade license through business setup consultants in Dubai given the approvals required to rub the food truck business in the emirate. As per the regulations of business setup in Dubai, selling cooked food through a truck is a regulated process as the safety and well-being of the public is a top priority of the government.
That is why you will be required to get approvals from a few government authorities to obtain a food truck license in Dubai mainland. In this article, we will discuss the types of approvals required, the government authorities issuing approvals, and the relevant requirements. Read ahead to know further:
Key Things to Remember Before Applying for a License
Unlike other businesses, you need to comply with certain standards and regulations before applying for a food truck license in Dubai. Entrepreneurs can consult with business setup consultants in Dubai to get a glimpse of the key requirements. Some of them are given below
- Since the UAE doesn’t allow cooking food in a truck, you need to rent a kitchen space or enter into a contract with a cloud kitchen or industrial kitchen
- The design and other specifications of the truck must comply with the standards set out by relevant authorities
- The trade license must be obtained from the Department of Economic Development (DED), Dubai
- Approvals must be obtained from DED, Dubai Municipality, Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA), and Dubai RTA
- Certification from Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) is mandatory
Key Steps of Starting a Food Truck Business in Dubai
As per the regulations of business setup in Dubai, DED is the competent authority issuing a trade license on the mainland. Business setup consultants in Dubai can help you prepare and forward your applications along with relevant documents to the DED. However, you need to be aware of the following steps and requirements before applying for a trade license in Dubai for a food truck business:
- Submit a business plan to DED for initial approval
- Investors without a kitchen need to submit the contract they signed with a central kitchen to the DED
- Purchase a truck and then hire a fit-out contractor to design your truck as per the norms of Dubai Municipality
- Submit the truck’s layout to Dubai Municipality to obtain the approval
- Find a suitable location to park your truck and obtain approval from the RTA for this
How to Prepare a Business Plan for a Food Truck Business?
Submitting a business plan is mandatory to get approval from the DED for your food truck business in Dubai. An effective and detailed business plan may include some of the following elements:
- A business idea that explains the thought behind the venture and its vision & mission
- A concept that gives an idea about the consumer experience, design and the theme of the food truck
- The financial plan that describes your plan for raising funds from investors, the necessary capital, expenses, break-even and forecast of sales
- A business model describing the way of doing business and the principles on which you will base the framework of your business plan etc.
- Competitor analysis
- Strategy to manage competition
- Value-added services that will make your business stand apart
- Funding strategy
- Risks associated with the business
- Plans to mitigate the risks
- Strategies to scale up the business
Requirements for Dubai Municipality Approval
To start a food truck business in Dubai mainland, approval must be obtained from the Dubai Municipality. You need to meet the following requirements and execute the below steps to obtain the approval:
- A formal space contract with the owner of the approved location is mandatory for non-mobile trucks
- Mobile food trucks are allowed only for food events approved by the Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM). In such a case, a copy of the organizer’s event permit should be submitted
- The food truck must be registered with Dubai Municipality’s Food Watch programme
- The food truck must have adequate and licensed facilities to display food as per Dubai’s Food Code.
- A list of foods, food handlers, preparation area, equipment and layout data must be uploaded to the Food Watch database
- The suppliers of the food must have a food inspection grade of A, B or C
Approval from Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point
You should obtain HACCP approval for both the kitchen and the truck for safety and hygiene. You are required to secure HACCP approval for the layout of the food truck and the blueprint of the design of the food truck. A HACCP-approved truck will enhance the credibility of your food truck business in Dubai.
Hire the Top Business Setup Consultants in Dubai, UAE
The assistance of business setup consultants in Dubai is essential for obtaining a food truck permit as the process involves certain approvals. Business setup experts such as Jitendra Business Consultants (JBC) can help the food truck operators to simplify the process of business setup in Dubai. We are a team of highly qualified consultants well-versed in the UAE immigration and labour laws. For a fast license approval, avail of the business setup services provided by our experienced consultants.